Sunday, July 30, 2023

July is just about over

 


Here we are in the last bits of July.  The heat has abated somewhat, meaning it's no longer triple digits, but the humidity is still high.  However, the darkness is coming earlier each night and as August gets set to begin, I can already see summer beginning to show signs of losing steam.  We are technically not quite half-way through with the season, but its ending has already begun.

That also means that my month-long break in teaching is about over.  I have spent much of the month in cooking, yes, even in the hottest days when no one wants to turn on an oven.  I made cakes, and cookie dips, and ice creams, and berry fools, and pasta dishes, and many other things.  A couple new items have already been added to the menu, and I have a handful more to do as I make the time, the recipes for which are sitting in a pile with handwritten notes of tweaks and improvement updates.  These include a couple cakes, four new cookie dip flavors, a new ice cream, and a pasta dish.

I made great inroads into my cooking to-do list, but as always there seems to be no end to the list as I am always adding things I want to create or improve or explore.  Cooking and baking are never-ending tasks, at least in my case.  

I had great fun passing out all sorts of food to people besides the foods that were passed out as part of the weekend menu offerings.  It's always nice to hear when a food is enjoyed, and I had lots of those moments this month. 

As August begins in a couple days, I will continue working on that to-do list.  And I will continue adding new foods to the menu and tweaking old foods as I am inspired or as I recognize the necessity.

As I said, never-ending.... and I wouldn't have it any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment