Thursday, February 2, 2023

Brownies

 


Does anyone not like brownies?  I have multiple brownies on the menu, including the bouchons shown in the photo above.  These are made in a special mold that results in the cork shaped brownies you see in the picture.


I have Twinkie-shaped molds for these brownies.


And I have 4-inch fluted round molds for these.


And some are carefully frosted with mousse or ganache and then precisely cut to a specific size.

Each brownie is unique and the size and pan or mold that I use to cook them is very carefully selected after a lot of trial and error.  (Everyone says "trial and error", but it really should be "trials and errors", plural on both, since it's never just one attempt.)

Some people prefer a brownie that is made with nothing but cocoa powder, some with nothing but chocolate, and some with a blend.  I determined long ago that for me, brownies made with all chocolate and no cocoa powder did not result in the texture that I desired.  So all my brownies are either cocoa powder or a blend.  The important thing is to use a very high quality cocoa powder.  My choice is a dark cocoa powder made by Cacao Barry.  I have found it to be supremely chocolatey and perfect for my tastes when it comes to brownies and other chocolate confections.  

Going back to the idea of pans and molds, I have found that the right selection of cooking vessel makes a significant difference sometimes.  With all my brownies, I tested a variety of vessels before I settled on the final choice.  And I carefully notated for each recipe which pan or which mold should be used along with any other small but significant baking tips I learned regarding how much to fill each mold, exactly how different cooking times and temperatures affect the brownie, whether or not the addition of extra chocolate chips or shavings is advisable, etc.

And sometimes I will try new things with a batch I am making just for fun (as opposed to something prepared to go out to the door for someone else), just to see what happens.  These might include baking the pan under tented foil, or mixing the dough more or less vigorously (this makes a difference sometimes!), or mixing by hand versus machine whisk or paddle.

Little tweaks like this, done over time, constantly help recipes and finished foods evolve and hopefully become just a little better as they are made again and again.  And sometimes, a new way of doing something is arrived at which turns something ordinary into something much more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment