Thursday, February 9, 2023

Snowy weather

 


What's not to love about a snowy morning in Kansas City.  Today started out with a beautiful snowfall, but it is quickly melting as the temperatures hover in the mid-30s.

This snow has remade my schedule for the day.  This means my morning has been spent proofreading recipes in my recipe master database and in my ingredient cost spreadsheet.  And I've watched some good movies.  And I mixed up a bit of mock-tartar sauce to have with fish sticks that my wife has popped into the oven.

And I made pancakes this morning, tweaking cooking times and the cooking protocol itself as I get ready to put them on the menu to offer to all of you, frozen and ready for re-heating in the microwave.  As I whisked together the dry ingredients for the batter, I was a little too vigorous and some of the dry ingredients swooshed out of the bowl.  This is a common occurrence for me as sometimes I am too impatient or too much in a hurry or simply too excited to take my time when whisking dry ingredients.  Today it was "simply too excited", perhaps by the snow.  But I was also eager to try cooking with a couple new pancake rings I had purchased earlier this week and tweak the amount of batter I wanted to have for close-to-perfectly-circular 6-inch pancakes. 

Well, the pancakes came out perfectly after a few attempts to get just the right amount of batter for these new rings.  

As for whisking dry ingredients, at least I wasn't working with cornstarch.  If I get sloppy with whisking with cornstarch, that stuff flies everywhere.  It's amazing how fine the particles are.  And even simply opening the cornstarch container loosens and scatters the dust around.  It's terribly messy to work with.  But also a fantastic ingredient to have in the right foods.  

Is that enough of my random thoughts for the day?  Yes, I think so.  I'm putting together a list of grocery items to get for several things I'm making in during the upcoming weekend.  Ok, that's another random thought, isn't it?  Enough.

Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment