Sunday, February 5, 2023

Lemon snickerdoodles


Good morning! 

This coming weekend we have smoky sloppy joe filling and gingerbread mini-cakes available for ordering.  The following weekend I will be taking the weekend off to enjoy some activities with family including a fun day of Stratomatic baseball with my brother.

I cooked many things this past weekend.  In addition to the scones and cookie dip which were available for order, I also made a savory pie, and two different kinds of snickerdoodles.  

First of all, I made the usual snickerdoodles.  But then I did the final tweaks I felt were needed on a variation of these:  lemon snickerdoodles (photo above).  I'm all set to officially add these to the menu this week.  Just need to finalize all the details of the recipe and set up the item on the website.

I love putting lemon in so many things.  And I always use lemon zest and/or lemon juice rather than lemon flavoring.  Lemon extract simply does not add the same kind of flavor lift that lemon zest does.  At least that's my experience.  Perhaps there's a really good lemon extract out there that I'm not aware of?

Besides, I love taking lemons and zesting them.  It's a satisfying thing to see the lemon zest pile up under the zester.  Many people say to only zest once on each spot of the lemon so as to NOT get any significant amount of the white under the peel, but I always zest with two quick strokes.  I find the flavor to be more intense and full when done that way.  I tend to go through a lot of lemons and so I will squeeze the juice out and save it and toss the lemons out into my landscaping beds to decompose and add to the soil composition. 

This week I went through many lemons since both the snickerdoodles and the scones required them.  I have a few left, though, so I'm going to keep them in the fridge and see when they might come in handy over the next couple weeks.  

Coming soon:  pancakes, dal (lentils) and rice, pakora patties, and a chocolate snack cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment