Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Cookies for the weekend and orange icing fruit


 

Good early morning.  The month of May has arrived.  And we are seeing lots of blossoms and vibrant colors emerge in the landscapes.  

This coming weekend we have cookies ready for ordering.  Peanut butter and oatmeal chocolate chip.  The following weekend is more cookies with molasses spice cookies, but also pancakes, coming frozen to you and ready to heat up and eat.

Seeing all the colors coming out as spring progresses makes me think of all the many foods with wonderful colors and amazing flavors that are part of our culinary environment.  Of late, though, one specific thing has been on my mind:  orange icing fruit.  I think this is an important ingredient for a particular Danish pastry which used to be available at a bakery which is no longer in business.

I remember those pastries very well.  They were amazing.  And after the retail bakery that produced them went out of business, I have thought many times of how to recreate them.  At the time of the bakery closure, I thought about trying to track down the head baker to see if I could speak to him about the pastries.  But I didn't.  And ever since, I have periodically thought about those pastries and have done research on various recipes.  Eventually I began to think that orange icing fruit was the key ingredient I was looking for.

One of these days, I will sit down and play around with a dough that incorporates this orange ingredient.  I have located a few recipes from older bakeries which seem to hint that this is what will bring the magic alive with this pastry from my memory. 

In the meantime, though, I will simply enjoy this wonderful spring weather we are having.  Have a great week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment