Sunday, February 27, 2022

Weekly menu offerings updated and other news


Good morning to everyone!

It's a bright sunny day here in Kansas City, and we're going to have relatively mild weather for the next several days with temps feeling closer to those of spring than winter.

I have updated the weekly menu offerings.  For this coming weekend, we have challah and smoky sloppy joe filling.  For next weekend, we have brownies and cookie dip.

You may have noticed that the offerings are for two items rather than three as has been customary.  Well, here's why.  I'm doing fewer items each week but more of those items.  I'm testing out larger production runs.  This past weekend I made 16 tubs of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and 12 tubs of French vanilla, and a host of waffle cone bowls.  That's a lot of food.  My fridge was crammed with many cartons of eggs and cream which were required for the ice cream weekend we just had.  And I'm using that as the jumping off point for scaling up larger quantities.  Once I get used to that scale, I'm sure we'll be back to three items on the weekly offering, and probably more.

I'm also working on a cost spreadsheet for the ingredients I use.  As I'm beginning to produce more for everyone's enjoyment, it seemed like a good idea to start tracking ingredient costs.  And that will then be used to put a suggested donation in the ordering process.  That spreadsheet is quite a magnum opus as it includes not only my ingredient costs, but also every recipe that I maintain, complete with all my tweaks and adjustments.  It took me a while to settle on a format for that spreadsheet.  But the final format has been arrived at, and I'm more than half-way through updating with ingredients and recipes and prep steps, etc.  This will be useful when I start offering to show some of you how to make some of the things that come out of my kitchen.  And most of all, it will be in a format that makes it very easy for me to stay organized and up to date with changing ingredient costs and with the frequent small adjustments I make to my recipes to improve them over time.

Well, today I'm making some lemon poppy seed muffins, running a little experiment with two mixing processes to see the level of difference in the final result.  You'll see a post about that later if anything significant is seen.  And I'm eating lots of blueberries that are sitting on my counter just begging to be consumed.  

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment