Thursday, February 3, 2022

Combinations

 


I love combining foods.  This week, I combined flavored creams with berries and waffle cone scallop shells.  Three great things all put together -- sounds amazing, doesn't it?  In this case, it was an almond-flavored cream, fresh blueberries and a waffle cone shell which is flavored with just a little of both vanilla and almond.  And of course, three different textures added a nice touch.  It was delicious.

Sometimes when I make grilled cheese sandwiches, I'll try combining different things with the melted cheese.  I've done thin slices of tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, French fries, and so on.

Ice cream sundaes?  There's no shortage of things to try on top of ice cream.  I love to go wild and add bits of many different things:  fudge topping, mini chocolate chips, animal crackers, whipped cream with chocolate sprinkles, puréed strawberries, and so on.

Tuna salad sandwiches?  I love potato chips in these.

Chili?  Lots of things can go on top of chili.

Cake?  How about pudding as frosting?

I've often wondered if I could take my least favorites foods -- OK, not just least favorite, the worst foods -- and combine them with something to make them taste great.  Think that's possible?  Could one combine beef liver with something else to make it palatable?  (Sorry for those of you who enjoy liver.)  I don't think so.  I can't imagine anything making the worst foods (according to my tastes) any better.  And I certainly wouldn't want to ruin something that is good by adding it to something that I think is awful.

That's OK.   There of plenty of great foods out there to try in combination.  Right now, though, I'm going to take a little break in my day and have a simple piece of toast with butter.  Combinations are nice, but sometimes simplicity is nice, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment