Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A new tart


A new item has been added to the menu.  This is a chocolate glazed chocolate tart.  It has a rich chocolate filling, a dark chocolate glaze on top, and a graham crust.

I played with this for a while as I slowly prepared it for addition to the menu.  Initially, I wanted to go with a chocolate crust.  But I found that doing it that way resulted in a balance of flavor that wasn't quite right.  Then I abandoned the idea until one morning I was thinking, "Why not a graham crust?"  

That day I did a trial run, tweaking the chocolate glaze just a bit as well, and came out with a result with which I was quite happy.

That's the way it often works with new recipes.  The basic idea is great, but sometimes there is an imbalance of flavor or texture, or the appearance isn't quite what I'd like.  Then I put it away for a bit and wait for an idea to hit me.  Sometimes the idea is simple, a no-brainer, like changing the crust.  Other times, the idea is complicated and requires many more trial runs as I slowly approach the final the result that I'd like to see.

All in all, though, it's a rewarding process because it is an enjoyable thing to make good food and share it with people.

You'll see this on a weekly menu offering soon.  I hope you'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment