Thursday, December 16, 2021

Savory pies


During these upcoming cooler months, I will enjoy making savory pies.  To be honest, I enjoy making them even in the hotter months.  I love dessert pies, too.  Just about anything put in a pie crust would probably be delicious.

A new item, a savory pie, has been added to the menu.  This is a delicious and nutritious pie with Roma tomatoes, corn, cheddar cheese (and sometimes a bit of gruyère when I feel like adding it), scallions, lots of basil, and some other seasonings.  Let's not forget what holds it all together -- eggs and cream.

First the pie crust is par-baked.  Then shredded cheese, tomato slices, and corn are layered.  A mixture of cream and eggs and seasonings are heated up and then poured over the layers.  And then a final addition of basil is spread over the top.

This goes into a fairly hot oven for almost an hour.  Once the half hour mark has been reached, a wonderful aroma starts to fill the kitchen and then slowly flows through the air into the rest of the house.  It makes me want to go to the oven and open the door again and again to take in more of that aroma.  But I wait.  And wait.  And wait.

When it comes out of the oven, I wait a little more.  It has to cool for a little while, and as it cools, it sets.  I will eat a slice as soon as possible.  But then I like to let it sit more.  As it sits, the flavors meld.  

This pie will then sit in the fridge, and a slice can be reheated easily by placing it in a 350 F oven for about 20 minutes.  Whether eaten on Day 1 or Day 2, it is delicious.

Watch for it on an upcoming weekly menu offering.  And in the meantime, enjoy the Christmas season! 



1 comment: