Sunday, January 29, 2023

February is coming


Good morning!  January is just about gone, February is soon to be here, and then we can all start looking forward to spring, fresh plants, deer browsing the new greens in the yard, etc.  But today the weather is cold, and I feel like making hot chocolate and a chocolate tart.

This coming weekend, cookie dip and scones are ready for ordering.  Next weekend, we have a couple really great things for cold weather meals:  gingerbread mini-cakes with lemon zest, and smoky sloppy joe filling.  This filling goes great on buns, of course, but also in tortillas, and even just by itself by the spoon.  Give it a try!

This week I tried out my new food processor.  The old one was damaged when someone  (yeah, it was me...) dropped the plastic cannister at just the right angle to cause a very large crack in the side.  It had served me well for many years.  The new one runs very smoothly and is very quiet.  I think it's a great new addition to the kitchen as it is an upgrade from the old one which was decent but not great.  I learned to use it well enough for what I needed, but the new one is so much better.

Kitchens can easily get filled up with so many gadgets and utensils.  I try not to let that happen, but I have to admit that I have some things that rarely get used, some that I haven't used for years.  Soon I'm hoping to do a full reorganization of the kitchen and maybe then I'll toss a few things that seem to be doing nothing more than taking up space.    

Having a gadget or utensil that can serve multiple purposes is really a nice idea.  But I have some things that are specifically designed for one purpose, such as my strawberry huller.  These kinds of things sometimes do such a great job with their single purpose that it can be tough to consider eliminating them.  In fact, the strawberry huller is something I would never get rid of.  But it's certainly worth going through everything and trying to reduce the number of items sitting on shelves and in drawers that aren't being used.

Wish me luck.  And eat well, this coming week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment