Thursday, January 19, 2023

Accidents and recipe tweaks


 

It's a chilly Thursday here in Kansas City.  Roads today threatened to be icy, but we escaped as the temperatures climbed up into the mid-30s.  I just finished a great brunch of French toast (made by my lovely wife), quesadillas, and cheese rollups, and washed down with a glass of cold milk.  A great meal.

I love making things with tortillas, and so I introduced my wife to chicken quesadillas.  I have a certain sauce I like to use with these.  And I made a double batch of the sauce, but neglected to increase the amount of one key ingredient, the chopped jalapenos and juice.  As I finished making the final quesadilla, I suddenly realized I hadn't doubled the amount of that ingredient.  Pleasantly, though, in fact, very pleasantly, I discovered that it actually made the sauce a bit better.  It wasn't quite as spicy or hot as the previous sauce, but the decrease in the heat from the reduced jalapenos allowed some of the other flavor components in the sauce to come out considerably more than before.

I still like the first sauce and it's heat.  But now this newly balanced sauce is even higher on my list.  I was very surprised.  But that's how it goes when little accidents result in recipe tweaks.  Sometimes the accident has a negative effect, and sometimes a positive effect.  And in this case, it was decidedly positive.

I am always excited when I do something wrong in a recipe (well, maybe not always) because sometimes these little accidents or missed details lead me towards something a little different that I hadn't foreseen.

So don't be afraid of any mistakes that are made when cooking.  Sometimes the result may pleasantly surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment