Sunday, December 25, 2022

Upcoming offerings and kitchen accidents

 


It is a cold December night here in Kansas City.  A little ice is falling and we have a winter weather advisory that is in effect for the rest of the night as I write this entry.  Perfect weather for staying inside and eating some good food.

I've had the urge to make some palet d'or (see the photo above), and a few other similar super-rich desserts, so be on the lookout for those in upcoming weekly offerings.  For this coming weekend, I'm still on break.  But the first full weekend of January has two items that have been updated just now, ready for you to order.  Triple chocolate chunk cookies and yellow snack cake.

This past week I made a lot of food, many types of cookies, multiple types of brownies, some sandwich bread, lime slushes, and my wife made shami kebabs and chicken biryani.  Most of what we made became our contributions to a big feast.  We spent a lot of time in our kitchen these past few days.  

While making one of the batches of brownies, I happened to spill a few small blobs of brownie batter onto the glass-top stove.  I quickly took my finger and swiped it up to eat it from my fingertip.  I didn't realize the burner on which it had landed was still just a little bit hot from being on earlier.  Yikes!  I knew the burner was still to warm to touch, but my instinct was to grab that delicious bit of brownie batter right away.  A little ice immediately applied kept the burn at bay.   

It's so easy to make little mistakes in the kitchen which can lead to small accidents.  There are hot stovetops, hot pans coming from the oven, blenders and food processors, knives, and so on.  I try to mitigate all these risks as much as possible.  For instance, I never compress a kitchen trash bag by hand since it might contain a can lid with sharp edges.  (I came perilously close one time to having a deep cut because of a loose can lid in a trash bag.)  And I always wear a knife-resistant glove when cutting up vegetables and fruits and I even a have butcher's glove that I always wear when cutting up meats.  Two gloves?  Yes, so that there is no chance of cross contamination since one is used for meat only.  And that butcher's glove is just like chain-mail of the middle ages with lots of interlocking rings to keep a knife off the skin.

However, no matter what is done, I think that it is impossible to mitigate all chances of all types of accidents in the kitchen.  So sometimes when I get to moving too quickly in the kitchen, I have to find a way to slow down and take my time.  Sometimes, I'm simply a little careless, too.  Is that true for everyone else?  

The end of the year is coming.  As the year draws to a close and we prepare for a new year to start, keep putting aside time to make some good food and remember to do it safely.  Eat well and have a great week, everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment