Sunday, May 15, 2022

The week ahead

 


Good Sunday morning to everyone!

This morning here in Kansas City, we have a dark and stormy day ahead of us.  Weather radar shows lots of rain coming.  Clouds are dark, and thunder is rumbling.  I managed to get outside and do a few things before the storms got here.  Now it looks like I'll be inside for the rest of day.  (It's about 900 AM as I write this.)

This upcoming weekend's orders have been pushed back one week as I have some obligations at the end of this week.  The menu remains the same, yummy chocolate cookies and Swedish visiting cake.

Yesterday I made three different meat sauces for pasta.  All have beef, but they are all different.  Sometime today, I'll cook up a batch of pasta and test them all.  I've made sure not to eat breakfast so that I have room for all of that later today.  Of course, since I've skipped breakfast that also means I'll be hungry when I taste-test the sauces.  And we all know that everything tastes better when you're hungry.  Perhaps I'll have a small brunch so that my sense of taste is not too heavily influenced.

Later on this week, I'll do more tweaking and tasting and testing of at least one of these sauces if everything goes according to plan.  

I happened to read that today is a day to commemorate St. Isidore the Farm Laborer.  Isidore is the patron saint of farmers and rural communities, according to further reading, and was particularly noted for care for poor farm laborers of Spain and the animals of those farms.

When I think about how much work is done by those who labor in farms and fields across the world ... wow!  We don't often give thought to those who do this work, but we should.  

So eat a good meal and give thanks, silent or otherwise, for those who make the meal possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment