Sunday, May 1, 2022

Here's what's coming up


It's the first day of May.  We're well into the spring and so far we have had no significant heat.  I've always thought that if we have no significant heat before May 15, that the heat of the coming summer won't be too bad.  Sure, we may roast once in a while in July and August, but without the longer buildup of heat in April and May, it always seems to me that the following season is a gentler summer.

This coming weekend we have lava field brownies and peanut butter cookies on the weekly menu.  The following week's offering was designed as a result of a request from one of the regular eaters here at Bruce Bakery and Bistro.  It was suggested that speculoos and my sweet and creamy cookie dip were a perfect combination.  So I'm making lots of both.

This evening after making food yesterday, and working out in the yard both days of the weekend, and after hosting family here for a bonfire and movie and food day yesterday, I'm taking it easy.  I'm watching some fun TV shows while drinking lots of milk and scarfing down mini chocolate chips.

I keep lots of chocolate around all the time because I use so much of it.  That also means that I snack on it whenever the craving is there.  I love to take a small ramekin and fill it with my favorite brands of mini chocolate chips, and plop down in a comfortable chair while watching a movie or TV show.  I always intend to eat them one at a time, casually, without rushing.  But invariably I start grabbing two or three or nine.  The problem is that when I start grabbing more, occasionally one of them drops from my fingertips which are trying in vain to hold too many chips.  The chair I'm most often sitting in is a black desk chair.  And under it is black square of flooring for the chair to roll on easily (instead of carpet).  This means that if I don't catch one of these little tiny mini chocolate chips before they fall, it's likely I will looking for it for quite a while as the black chip will disappear into the black of the chair or the black of the flooring square.

I grab my flashlight and get down on my hands and knees looking for the chip.  It might be on the chair in which case I will be sitting on a slowly melting chip if I don't find it.  It might be on that black square of flooring and if I don't find it I may roll over it with the wheels of my chair.  My cat comes over and is very curious to see what I'm doing.  He gets in my way as I look for the chip.  Eventually I find it.  And then I stand up and vow to not drop another chip ever again.  Usually I drop another one within five minutes.

Oh, well.  It's something that's going to happen if I keep insisting on snacking on these little tiny chips.  So I resign myself to it and always make sure that the flashlight has charged batteries.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment