Sunday, April 24, 2022

Offerings up next and Swedish treats review


 Hello, hello!

I've just posted the updates to the next two weekly offerings.

First up at the end of this week is hot milk cake with apple compote, and also savory egg salad.  This hot milk cake is on a weekly menu offering for the first time.  With or without compote, it is a wonderful and flavorful dessert.  You can put just about anything on it and it will be good. The cake itself has a tender crumb and a fantastic texture.  The savory egg salad is a favorite for a quick sandwich and goes with just about any bread.  I can never get enough egg salad and will easily eat two or three sandwiches to make a nice lunch.

Next weekend we have lava field brownies making their first appearance, and also peanut butter cookies.  The brownies are bit different what you might be used to, but they are scrumptious.  The peanut butter cookies were requested by one of my regular eaters, so here they are.

Last week I posted a picture of snack foods from Lindsborg Kansas, also known as Little Sweden.  And I promised I would give a little review of these.  Please refer to the picture above as I give my thoughts on each. 

The Ahlgren's Bilar Fruitkombi are similar to typical gelatin snacks here in the US except that these are combined with marshmallow.  They are fruit-flavored, but at a mild level, nothing intense.  And they are not too sweet.  Shaped like cars, they will appeal to any kid.  I found them tasty, although they weren't my favorite from this group.

The Toggi Wafers are a bit like Kit-Kats.  However, they was more flavor in these, and I didn't taste as much pure sugar as in a Kit-Kat.  I liked these, and I could easily eat several.  This package was milk chocolate covered, but they also come in a dark chocolate variety.

The Mandel bars were somewhat soft with just a little bit of chew.  I found them quite delicious accompanied by a glass of milk.  The flavor is not too strong:  fondant, dark chocolate and almonds are the principal ingredients.

The Lakerol salty caramels are small button-sized bits of caramel.  No sugar was added to these so I wasn't sure how I'd like them.  But I was pleasantly surprised by the dark dusky taste.  They weren't easy to chew, weren't very soft, but they sat in my mouth and melted for a quite a while.  

The Gille orange-flavored oat crisps were my second favorite item in this group.  Don't confuse these with an oatmeal cookie.  These are thin and light crisps with a fantastic toasted oat flavor with a balanced amount of orange.  The chocolate stripes were an added bonus.  I ate this whole package very quickly.  They were simply too good to resist easily.

My favorite from this group is the Kolsvart Torsken.  Kolsvart is the company name.  Torsken is Swedish cod.  These are Swedish fish, but not like what we get here in the US.  The are longer and shaped just like the cod for which they are named.  Koslvart produces them in multiple flavors.  This package was black currant and raspberry.  The flavor is incredible.  The texture of the fish is much nicer than that of it's US copycat.  I've had a couple of the other flavors in the past as well.  Every one I've tried is really quite delicious.  I highly recommend these.

So I had a fun time trying these snacks.  All of them except the Torsken were new to me.  I enjoy trying things from places all over the world.  So next time any of you happen to be someplace where something unusual and exotic is available, don't hesitate to pick something up for me to try.  I won't refuse it, most certainly not!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE checking out grocery stores when we travel abroad. So many fun things. And what is wrong with Americans that we don't flavor things with black currant more often? I had to get some cough drops in Ireland, and they were black currant, and soooo good. Thanks for the fun reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the review!

      Delete
    2. Blackcurrant was illegal for a while in the US. It acts as a vector for a disease called white pine blister dust, which I think used to be about as scary as emerald ash borer is today. It's still illegal in some states, like Massachusetts. (Pretty tragic to mess up an ecosystem so bad that you have to ban native plants!) Luckily it's legal in many states now and becoming more available.

      Delete
    3. That's fascinating information about black currant. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see a vegan one come out on top! Wonder if we'll be seeing an orange oatmeal cookie on the menu someday.

    ReplyDelete