Saturday, July 31, 2021

Almond snack cakes


This summery Saturday night here in Kansas City has been a busy one for me.  I've just finished cutting numerous sugar cookie rounds which are chilling overnight before a morning bake.  I also mixed and packaged several containers of savory egg salad.  I made streusel topping for allspice snack cakes which is also chilling overnight before the cakes are made in the morning.  And I made a batch of spiced candied pecans which I love to leave sitting out on the kitchen counter so that I can grab a few whenever I pass by.  It has been a busy night which is now coming to a close officially as I type up this blog post.  

A new item was added to the full menu a couple days ago:  almond snack cakes with blueberries and cream.  One of the ingredients in these little cakes is brown butter.  I love making things with brown butter.  What is brown butter?  It's butter that has been melted and cooked long enough to evaporate some of the water out and toast the milk solids.  This results in an intensified flavor which most people describe as "nutty".  Often the milk solids which separate out from the liquid are strained out, but not always.  Personally, I always strain out the solids, but some people like to leave them in.  While this is technically called "brown butter" I often find myself calling it "browned butter".  I'm OK either way.  In fact, I prefer to say "browned butter".  I don't know why.  It's just the way I am. 

These cakes have lots of egg whites, lots of powdered sugar, and almond flour as well as all-purpose flour.  They are scrumptious, especially when topped with the aforementioned blueberries and cream.  I tested these with both domestic (large) and wild (small) blueberries.  The domestic choice was the way to go.  So that's how they will always be served from my menu.  

I will put them on a weekly menu soon.  I hope you will give them a try when I do.

5 comments:

  1. I am team browned butter. These look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent that you are on board with 'browned butter'. And they are scrumptious. They are on the menu for next week so order if you wish!

      Delete
    2. Done! Can't wait to try them! I just had toasted pecan and browned butter ice cream from Betty Rae's last night, and it was excellent!

      Delete
    3. That ice cream flavor combination sounds great!

      Delete