Sunday, July 11, 2021

A nice weekend

 


Happy Sunday evening, everyone.  What a nice weekend it has been: lots of cooking, some good movies, very mild temperatures, and wildlife visiting my yard.  The beautiful doe shown in the picture above has been around more than once to steal a bit of birdseed from the feeders in my yard.

Today has been a nice day of cooking.  I distributed foods from this week's menu offerings yesterday and today.  It was nice to get back to making food for everyone after being on hiatus for so long due to the pandemic.  I hope everyone who got some food from my kitchen this weekend enjoyed it.  I've already updated the next two weeks of menus.  I hope you will all give something a try.

Today I began preparing to add chocolate mousse to the menu.  I have multiple recipes that I like to use.  I'm going to choose one that will soon be available for everyone.  That means I will be making multiple batches this week and next in order to decide on which variety to add to the menu.  I guess I'll be eating a lot of mousse.  I'm not complaining one bit!


Here's one of the batches I made today.  They are in the fridge now, setting up in the chill air.  I won't touch them until tomorrow. 

I also began a rye bread today.



For the most recent Father's Day, my oldest daughter sent me three special flours.  One of these is the rye flour shown above.  So today I began experimenting with this.  To be honest, I've never used rye flour before.  For my first time using it I'm going to make a New York deli style rye bread.  Here's the starter dough shown below.


This starter will sit in this bowl sealed under plastic for many hours as it increases in volume.  I will let it sit overnight and make the bread in the morning.  

I will be experimenting with the other two flours sent by my daughter later this week or next week.  This month I have lots of time for cooking, a great way to spend the midsummer days.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete