Wednesday, June 9, 2021

New item - roasted tomatoes

 


Good morning, everyone!

The summer heat here in Kansas City is finally about to make it's first appearance.  I have been quite happy to have a rainy mild spring.  And since it was so mild, I'm not at all worried about the summer heat that will soon hold sway for several weeks.  

Summer is a great time for tomatoes.  Well, I supposed I have to say any season is a great time for tomatoes.  I love tomatoes.  I keep cherry tomatoes on my kitchen counter to snack on frequently.  I love having sliced tomatoes with a light sprinkling of sugar.  I love tomatoes in salads and sauces and stews.  And I especially love them roasted long and slow on low heat.

Today, I have added slow-roasted tomatoes to the full menu.  These are Roma tomatoes sliced in half with a small wedge of the core cut away, brushed with olive oil, and sprinkled with a combination of seasonings that I like to use just for these.  They are roasted at a low 225 F for three hours.  

They come out with wonderful flavor, tender and juicy.  And they reheat beautifully.  You'll see them on a weekly menu offering in July and probably frequently thereafter. 

I have a handful of other new items that will also be added soon, so keep a close eye on this blog and on the menu at www.brucebakeryandbistro.com.

Enjoy our beautiful sunny weather and don't forget sunscreen if you're going to be for long in the sun.

Bon appetit, everyone!

1 comment: