Saturday, June 19, 2021

Hazelnuts and July food offerings


 

Happy Saturday!  It's a very warm week here in Kansas City, although not as warm as some other parts of the country.  It's a good day to stay inside out of the heat and the humidity.

Yesterday, my order of hazelnuts was delivered.  Two pounds.  Many people prefer to get their hazelnuts already completely skinned.  However, I like to just take them with the skins on, roast them, and then roll them in a towel or in a plastic baggie to take off some but not all of the skin.  When they are ground, I like seeing some of the darker color that comes from the skin.  

These hazelnuts will be part of the first weekly menu in July.  I am excited to get back to making food for everyone.  Typically, each weekly menu has 3 items on it.  I've decided that one of the items will be hazelnut Florentines.  I love making these little lacy-thin cookies.  They are such a great combination of sweet and savory.  

Another of the items will be ice box dessert, one of the newest items on the menu.  I've just procured lots of wonderful vanilla beans for making French vanilla ice cream which is part of the ice box dessert.  Some of those vanilla beans will also be used for vanilla creme caramel, pastry cream, and other things over the next short while.

As for the third item to appear on the first weekly menu of July ... I haven't figured that out yet.  But I'm having fun thinking about it.

Enjoy the weekend wherever you are.  Try to stay cool.  And indulge in some yummy food.  It's good for the soul.




1 comment: