Sunday, February 25, 2024

Freezing batters and doughs


I freeze cookie doughs all the time.  But not every cookie dough freezes well.  So it's important to test each one.  

When it comes to freezing batters, I wouldn't even consider it in most cases.  I think that batters have too much liquid in them to maintain their integrity and still come out just as good after baking as those items which are baked from fresh batter.

What about fruit purées?

This week I made banana bread for a small event.  I like to freeze banana bread loaves after baking.  In fact, it's an important part of the process because I wait a good long time for my bananas to over-ripen and one can't guarantee how long that will take.  In this case, I bought slightly green bananas about 10 days before I used them, baked them, and froze them for a few days before thawing the day of the event.  You can't always know for certain whether they will be ready for use on the same day as they are to be eaten.

I bought extra bananas this time because I wanted to purée some for freezing.  So now I have extra puréed bananas in the freezer waiting to be used for another batch of banana bread.  I wonder if they will come out the same or if the freezing process affects the bananas enough the significantly alter the finished baked product.

That question will be answered soon here in another post.

In the meantime, enjoy the warming weather.  Spring is still a few weeks away, but it certainly feel like it's trying to come early.

No comments:

Post a Comment