Saturday, February 3, 2024

Breakfast ice cream


Those who know me are very aware of my fondness for ice cream.  So you can imagine my delight when I discovered that today, February 3rd, is Ice Cream for Breakfast Day!

I learned of this quite by accident today and immediately went to Wikipedia for more information.  There I discovered that this day was established in the 1960s by a mother of six children on a cold snowy day.  I will let you head to Wikipedia yourself to read more on this.  

The important point, though, is that we have a reason for eating ice cream for breakfast today!  I have done that before, of course.  But it's nice to know that there is a day set aside for this particular culinary idiosyncrasy.  

We've all eaten pizza for breakfast, right?  And who hasn't polished off leftover chocolate chips sitting on the counter from the night before?  (Regarding the cookies, am I the only one?)

It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  If it is, then I can think of no better way to honor it's importance than by eating my favorite food, ice cream.  I'm only joking, of course.

Considering other foods which we eat for breakfast that are rich and sugary, perhaps it's not such a stretch to think of ice cream as a breakfast food.  Pancakes with syrup, waffles and whipped cream, blueberry muffins that are more cake than muffin, donuts -- the list of breakfast foods that aren't exactly the best for us in terms of our health goes on and on.

Well, as I said, I'm delighted to know that a day which commemorates ice cream in this way exists.  While I like to indulge by fondness for ice cream, I probably won't use this as an excuse to make it a staple at breakfast.  But it's a nice thought anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment