Monday, November 15, 2021

Eggnog


I have added something to the menu that I have been wanting to add for a long long time.

Eggnog.

Normally, it seems that people only drink eggnog during the winter holidays.  But I love it all year long.  However, I don't really care for the eggnog you find at the grocery store.  Most people I know agree with me that it's too "gloopy".  Is that a word?  Well, it is now because I'm using it.  By gloopy, I mean it's too thick, the texture's not quite right, and the flavor always seems a little artificial to me.

For my eggnog, I heat up the mixture of egg yolks, sugar, cream, milk, salt and vanilla to between 175 and 180 F.  Then it chills for a long time.  As is chills, it gets better.  And when I pour it into a glass and dust it with nutmeg, I can almost taste it even before I bring the glass to my lips.  

Eggnog really is amazing when it's cooked and chilled just right.  At least I think so.  I think most people either love it or hate it.  And that's OK.  Everyone has different tastes.

It's on the menu, and I will put it on a weekly offering sometime very soon, in time for Christmas.


4 comments:

  1. I saw on Tasting History an 18th century eggnog that didn't heat the eggs at all. I had never seen that before. It had a huge amount of alcohol added, so I guess that took care of the salmonella risk??

    I tried to veganize eggnog once but I did it wrong and got something pasty that tasted like sweet fried eggs, which was delicious but for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggnog with no eggs ... fascinating.

      Delete
    2. At least I assume you mean no eggs when you say "veganize".

      Delete
    3. Ya. You can get vegan eggnog in stores, but it's very sweet and not fatty or rich, just a thickened dairy substitute with lots of sugar and spices. That said, I didn't do much better; besides, I never had homemade eggnog and I haven't had storebought in probably at least 15 years, so I'm not even certain what I'm aiming for.

      Delete