Thursday, October 28, 2021

Cookie mixing tips


For almost every cookie batch, there a few things I try to do as part of the mixing process.  Are there exceptions?  Of course, there are, but most of the time a cookie batch will be served well by utilizing these tips.

First of all, it's a good idea to get all the ingredients measured and set out before you start.  When I say "measured", I mean with a scale if you have one.  In baking, precision and consistency are very important.  I measure everything in grams.  If a recipe does not have weight measurements, then as part of testing it out I make sure I weigh everything and write those measurements in next to the volume measurements so that I can use them for every subsequent bake.

For most cookies, butter is warmed up to room temperature.  I often cut my butter into slabs and separate the slabs in order to quicken the warm-up.  I also let the eggs warm up.  And after the eggs are warmed up and cracked and set in a small bowl, I add the flavorings and extracts to the same bowl so that they are added to the mixing bowl at the same time as the eggs.  

Flour is measured out and, almost always, baking soda, powder powder, salt, and any other small-quantity dry ingredients are whisked into it.  If cocoa powder is part of the recipe, this is whisked into the flour as well.  If oats or chocolate chips are part of the recipe, these remain separate.

Butter (or other shortening) and sugars are creamed together at medium speed first.  Then eggs, and any flavorings, go in next and are added one egg at a time.  This is done at a slower speed.  Then the flour mixture is added in portions and is done at the lowest mixer speed.  I like to add it in 2 or 3 additions depending on the amount.  Doing this in multiple additions allows the flour to be incorporated more easily.  And mixing it on the lowest speed means the flour is worked over as little as possible (plus it ensures that the flour doesn't go flying into the air from a mixing paddle spinning too quickly).

Any nuts and chips are added last.  And there is something really nice about adding these last.  If you have an issue with a little of the material sticking to the sides of the bowl or on the bottom of the bowl and not getting incorporated easily, the nuts and chips will eliminate that issue since they collect all the material as the mixing paddle spins.  And then you have an evenly mixed cookie dough.

I have saved the most important tip for last.  You must, absolutely must, eat all the dough that is sticking to the beater or mixing paddle.  I believe it's the law in most places.  If it isn't, it should be.  Really.

OK.  Go make some cookies and have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment