Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The comfort of cooking

from my garden last summer

Happy Wednesday to everyone!  I thought I'd post the photo above from my garden last summer.  While spring has only recently begun, the plants are growing fast, and I can hardly wait until we see more flowers like that shown above.  This spring is certainly different than last summer, though, as we are all affected by the covid-19 situation.

You may have noticed that the weekly menus on www.brucebakeryandbistro.com have shown the selected items to be "sold out" the last couple weeks.  For purposes of social distancing, technically I am on hiatus for a while until this global health crisis starts to level out and we can start to get back at least closer to normal.  New entries will continue on this blog.  Instagram will continue to have new pictures.  And I am still selecting items for each week's menu, but they will all show as "sold out" for now.  I hope you will all venture to the site to see what would be offered if things were normal, and especially to look at the full menu to see new things as they are added.  This week frosted sugar cookies will be going up on the full menu and more is being added after that, including a new ice cream and some new breads, plus many other things planned and all coming soon.  I have great fun adding to the menu and introducing people to new things that I enjoy sharing.  I have so many things that there is not enough time to do it all as quickly as I would like.   

sugar cookie dough
I made sugar cookies this week and also ice cream, and banana bread will be made as soon as the bananas have ripened a bit more.  In this time of uncertainty there is great pleasure and comfort to be had making food in one's own kitchen.  Food is one of those fundamental and elemental aspects of our lives that are literally existential.  So take the time to make and eat good food.  Savor it.  Relish it.  Enjoy it.         



No comments:

Post a Comment