Thursday, April 30, 2020

Aromas of the kitchen


One of my favorite things about doing a lot of cooking is the wonderful aromas that fill the house.  This week I made pizza more than once and that meant a skillet of mushrooms and butter on the stove.  The steam wafted up from the pan, filled with that wonderful combination of pungent earthiness tempered by the hot butter.



Prepping for the pizza sauce meant starting with a saucepan with hot olive oil, onions, and garlic.  As the onions soften and the garlic infuses the oil with more flavor, the sound of the sizzling combined with the heavy aroma is a wonderful experience and sends my mind racing ahead to the final finished pizza.


I also made hazelnut cookies this week and of course that meant roasting nuts.  In only 10 minutes the nuts go from raw to roasted, and then comes my favorite part:  as I stand over them, chopping them up, I breathe in the air now filled with the rising aroma that has been intensified by the roasting.

A home filled with aromas such as these is always going to feel peaceful and relaxed, at least that's what I think.  Many days during the winter months, I keep a saucepan of water and cinnamon on the stove slowing simmering away and the hints of cinnamon floating in the air make those cold days feel just a bit warmer.  And who doesn't love walking into a house and immediately being able to discern with full certainty that there are chocolate chip cookies in the oven?

As I write this, my son is making a vegetable and mushroom stir-fry, and though I won't be able to eat it for a few minutes yet, the taste of it is already floating in the air. 

There is nothing like the fresh aromas that come from the kitchen.

That's all for tonight.  I'm going to sit back and just breathe in and out for a few minutes until that stir-fry is ready.  Have a good night everyone....



No comments:

Post a Comment