Friday, March 13, 2020

Living in interesting times

Swedish oatmeal cookies

I had a college professor who frequently tossed out a well-known saying that, I am told, originated in a country on the other side of the world:  "May you live in interesting times."

Well, the news is certainly full of enough stories this week that I think it could be said that we are all living in "interesting" times at the moment.  But when things get too interesting, just reach for a cookie.

Cookies are great.  This week I've made a lot of one particular kind:  Swedish oatmeal cookies.  There are several things about this cookie which are really effective at creating something memorable. 

First of all, room-temperature butter and sugar, plenty of both, are creamed for more than five minutes.  That's a long time.  By the time the creaming is finished, the mixture is smooth and silky and takes on the texture and viscosity of mayonnaise.  It looks amazing.

Second, cake flour is used instead of all-purpose flour.  With it's low protein content, relative to other flours, this flour helps to make this cookie pleasantly soft, even with all the oats and even if it winds up in the oven a bit longer than it should.

Third, rather than raisins, which many people toss into oatmeal cookie dough, I toss in miniature dark chocolate chips, preferably a very high-quality brand.  My first choice is always Valrhona for this particular cookie.  The size of the chip and the intensity of the flavor seem to go perfectly with the oats.

I made quite a few of these this week for family and friends who really enjoy them.  And I kept some back for myself as well.  I've been munching on them off and on throughout the day.  I think that cookies are one of those great treats which are satisfying no matter what mood I am in.  And certainly this week with all the crazy things going on in the world, a comfortable treat in the form of a cookie, or two or three, is just what is needed to make us all feel a little more grounded and a little more relaxed.  So eat a cookie and feel happy.  Maybe eat some broccoli first if you need the vegetables, but make sure to get that cookie afterwards. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment