Sunday, March 22, 2020

Favorites



What a month this has been.  The covid-19 pandemic is affecting our lives all over the planet.  Just yesterday, Kansas City, where I am located, announced a stay-at-home directive to begin in a couple days.  30 days of very little going on in the city except for essential activities, although will it really be only 30 days?  Our fingers are crossed.  It is a time of uncertainty, of challenges, of ......

I have already arranged for remote lessons with many of my piano students.  And I am contemplating days ahead of good movies and television, working in the yard and garden, watching the birds on all the feeder stations, looking out for the spring arrival of the hummingbirds, piano practice and lots of good cooking of my favorite comfort foods.

For a while before I set up Bruce Bakery and Bistro, I contemplated calling this endeavor simply Bruce's Favorites.  In fact, many times when I write a blog entry, or an item description on www.brucebakeryandbistro.com, I say "this is one of my favorites".  After a while, it seems to be a constant refrain and maybe even gets a bit old to some.  But it is true.  I don't make a particular food just to be able to say I know how to make it.  I don't care about making a food unless it really is one of my favorites.  For one thing, how can I really judge how good something I make is if I don't even like to eat the item I am making.  But in the end it really comes down to how I want to spend my time and what I want to share with people.  So I make my favorites.

This past week I made a chocolate tart, brownies, egg and cheese burritos, grilled cheese sandwiches, and many other yummy comfort foods.  Today I'm thinking about snickerdoodles.  Fortunately I have plenty of milk; otherwise I'd have to go out and get some because I must have milk to go with my snickerdoodles!  It's one of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment