Saturday, January 11, 2020

A day in the kitchen in winter



Rain late yesterday as temperatures fell close to and then below freezing, and snow now falling on top of the ice...... all that makes for an enjoyable day inside as the roads are in no condition to be traveled safely.  I've got some great television drama playing, a show on Netflix called Virgin River, and the kitchen is already filled with aromas of hazelnuts and yeasty dough with more to come.  I've put out lots of fresh feed for the birds: seeds, mealworms, and peanuts in the shell for the blue jays in particular.  I've done all my morning routine, a handful of chores, checking emails and news of the day, a tall glass of cold milk with a slice of fresh bread from yesterday with butter and fresh honey.  A great peaceful morning ahead of a nice day of cooking and TV and chess online and whatever else I naturally gravitate towards on this day of no plans.

I love how winter days of ice and snow tend to make the world stop.  We all move so quickly all the time, and the world seems to pace itself on a constant high level 24 hours a days, never stopping.  So when weather makes the world stop, I feel inside like it's a great reprieve from the pressures of constant action that world seems to insist on.

Today I'm making hazelnut florentines, French vanilla ice cream, soft white bread, and maybe one or two other things depending on how things go.  I've got no real agenda for today other than prepping one order of a few items for a neighbor.  All other orders this weekend were picked up ahead of the storm yesterday. 

I will probably spend part of the day looking for things to make that I've never tried before.  It's always fun to explore something new.  Here's to the pleasures of snow and ice and a beautiful winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment