Thursday, December 12, 2019

Trying new foods

dragon fruit

This week is one of my favorite weeks of the year.  It is the week that I pass out Christmas treats to my piano students.  Usually I give out bags of candy, or packages of cookies, the usual stuff.  However, this year I am passing out a not-so-usual item to one of my students who does not eat the typical packaged treats that everyone else will be receiving.  Instead, this student is getting a dragon fruit because she has always wanted to try one.

I have to admit ... I've not eaten a dragon fruit.  It's funny, but even with as much time as I spend making things in the kitchen, it takes a long while to get around to trying some new or exotic food items.  I love fruit, but not only is dragon fruit missing from my eating history, but star fruit, cherimoya, and more.  Just do an online search for exotic fruits and you see what these all are, and others as well.

It's not that I'm reluctant to try these new things, but I often don't think to even look for them at the grocers when I'm out doing a planned trip where I've already made a list of specific things to meet my cooking and eating needs for the week.

So perhaps this coming year, I should make a resolution to try one new thing every week, some new exotic fruit, or a vegetable I've never used, etc.  I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions.  But perhaps I will add a permanent line to my normal grocery list which simply reminds me to pick up something I've never tried before.  Well, that's all for today.  Remember to try something new once in a while.  Sometimes it's really worth it when you discover something you never even knew existed and fall in love with the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment