Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Leftovers

I am a big fan of leftovers.  Some of my favorite foods are those that taste even better a day after they are made, most notably spaghetti.  I know, I know, everyone says that fresh is always best.  But when I let cooked spaghetti sit in the fridge already mixed with sauce and meat, and then reheat it the next day, I appreciate the flavors more.  The pasta has absorbed much of the sauce (which means I also add more sauce when reheating it) and the change in texture is wonderful.  Fresh spaghetti is good, yes, but day-old and reheated, it's even better in my book.

Today I discovered another food that is just as good on day one or two as it is fresh: curried chicken with red onions, red bell pepper, and peas.

curried chicken with red onions, red pepper, and peas, resting before portioned into packets

When I've made this in the past, the entire batch has been consumed very quickly.  However, a couple days ago I made a lot of food at the same time as a new batch of this curried chicken, and so some of it was left uneaten and became a meal for another day.

curried chicken with red onions, red pepper, and peas, packets ready for sealing

Unlike spaghetti, I didn't find that the flavors intensified, or that anything else significantly changed, for that matter.  But it was excellent.

curried chicken with red onions, red pepper, and peas, ready for the oven

This is a very nutritious and easy dish to make.  Yes, it takes a bit of time to prep as chicken breast has to be sliced and also red bell pepper and onions, but that can all be done ahead of time.

curried chicken with red onions, red pepper, and peas, fresh out of the oven


Once it is cooked (and temperature verified with a thermometer), you have a flavorful meal that makes you feel very good.  Now that I know it is just as flavorful a day or two later, I will have to make bigger batches to ensure I have leftovers. 


curried chicken with red onions, red pepper, and peas, served

No comments:

Post a Comment