Thursday, September 26, 2019

An extraordinary chocolate cream cake - Part 1

Desserts .... I love desserts!  Tonight I'm preparing one of my favorite cakes that combines very rich moist devil's food layers, luxuriously smooth and satiny chocolate cream, and a mirror glaze finish.  It's a two-day process.  The cake and chocolate cream are prepared first, assembled, and then placed into the freezer overnight.  Some like to do this sort of thing in a cake ring.  I usually just use a 9-inch cheesecake pan because I love the way it releases from the frozen cake the next day.  8-inch cake layers means that there is space between the cake and the pan to fill with chocolate cream in addition to cream between the layers.  This cream is basically a sweet chocolate custard with generous amounts of whipped cream folded into it.  It is heavenly!  After the cake freezes overnight, the outer edge of the cheesecake pan is released and you have a beautiful standing chocolate cream with no visible cake ... it's all hidden on the inside.  Then the glaze is prepared ... lots of chocolate in it.  It is a deep dark chocolate color that might be described as a brown-tinged-black or black-tinged-brown depending on the light. Once it's made it's poured immediately from the pan over the frozen cake, oozing across the surface and down the sides.  It's immensely satisfying to watch it spread and then cling to the cold cake.  There's always some left over that falls through the rack onto a tray that should be placed underneath (unless one doesn't mind a mess or the waste).   That extra glaze can be scooped up and used on something else in the kitchen.  I like to toss it on ice cream or maybe add it to any leftover chocolate cream and make a parfait on the spot.  The glaze is beautiful and makes for an elegant presentation.  The taste of the whole thing is something I never tire of.  (I know, I ended the sentence with a preposition, but it's late... I'm going to leave it like that.)

Well, cake and cream are in the freezer and in the morning I will do the glaze.  It will seem a long wait and it will be hard to keep from eating a slice for breakfast, but I shall endeavor to save it for later in the day.  I've made multiple cakes tonight - only one is destined for my kitchen.  The others will be enjoyed elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment