Wednesday, November 2, 2022

A little late


Good evening, everyone!  Well, perhaps I should say, "Good morning!"  I'm a little late in getting the weekend blog post up.  And it's about 145 AM here as I type this.  So ... Good morning, everyone!

This weekend we have slow-roasted tomatoes and corn bread both on offer for weekend orders.  Next weekend, we have gougères and autumn spice cake.  All these foods are such excellent fall season foods no matter whether it's warm or cold.

It's very early or very late now, depending on perspective.  That reminds me of a time not long ago when I was up very early making something on a Sunday morning.  I was very groggy, so groggy that when I went to grab the cinnamon, I grabbed cumin instead!  The bottles looked the same.  They are somewhat close in color.  But the real excuse is that I was very groggy, very sleepy still, but I, for some odd reason, couldn't wait to get up and experiment with something new I had in my mind to try.  It doesn't matter what it was, at least not for this story.  All that matters is that I came perilously close to measuring out 2 teaspoons of cumin instead of cinnamon.  Needless to say, that would have had a disastrous effect on what I was baking.  I caught myself at the last minute.  And my planned baking for the day was saved and was a success.

I wonder if one made a mistake like that, how often it would turn out to be a good mistake.  I know for certain that sometimes I have absent-mindedly made such errors that in fact resulted in interesting new food ideas.  I can't say that I've ever made a mistake that created an culinary-world-shattering event, but I've certainly had new ideas prompted by those mistakes and other "what-ifs".  

OK, that's about as much as I can do here as the clock is approaching 200 AM.  All I will say is that I hope if anyone has any interesting stories about fatigue-induced mistakes that they will share them.  Too afraid of embarrassing yourself?  Don't be!  We've all made big mistakes in the kitchen and they always make good stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment