Thursday, June 30, 2022

Last day of June


Here we are on a hot day in the last handful of hours of June.  And I'm in the kitchen dealing with a hot oven, and hot water, too, as I wash up each dish and pan and utensil one by one as I use them.  

Today I have multiple batches of chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough already made and chilling in the fridge.  And I have made multiple batches of yellow cake batter (see the pic above).  To start the day I realized I didn't have sour cream, even though I was certain that I had some in yesterday's groceries.  So I rushed out to the store, got some, along with a container of ice cream (for the hot day, of course), and then went home.  When I arrived and put the sour cream in the fridge I found I actually had a container in there already.  While at the store, I saw cake flour on the shelf as I passed it, and thought about getting some, but realized I already had some at home.  You see, I keep extra containers of everything so that I never run out.  So in my flour cannister was cake flour, and I had an extra box in the pantry.  Or so I thought!  When I started setting up ingredients to make cake batters, I realized I only had a small amount of cake flour in the cannister and none in the pantry.  How that happened, I do not know.  But I had to go out to the store again for cake flour.  At least that time when I got back, I didn't find that I actually had a box in the pantry.  

I always keep extra bags and boxes of everything:  flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, bread flour, eggs.  You name it.... I have extras.  Well, at least most of the time; apparently, not today. 

This week's chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are being developed as a special request from son-in-law Zak.  And the yellow cake is for son Ben.  I will spend the next few days working on them and tweaking and adjusting until they are ready to be added to the full menu.  I'm working from past recipes I've already used, so it's more a process of refining than of discovery.

Tune in to the next blog post here to see how this month of working on new menu additions is going.

Try to stay cool, everyone!  And have a great start to July!

No comments:

Post a Comment