Sunday, April 25, 2021

Banana bread and zucchini bread


 

Today is National Zucchini Bread day.   I have no idea who designated this day as such.  But apparently it is what it is.

So that means I'm making zucchini bread, right?  Well ... no.  

I remember having zucchini bread when I was a kid, but I've not had it in all the years since.  Why is that?  I remember it tasting good back then, so why haven't I made it since then?  Hmmmmmm.....

Yesterday I made banana bread.  And today I made it again.  I had a large bunch of bananas that I purchased specifically with the idea of making banana bread.  I let them ripen all week, not realizing that I had twice as many bananas as I needed.  Then when I made the breads yesterday, it became apparent that I had all these over-ripe bananas that needed to be used up.  So I made more breads this morning.  Now I have seven mini-loaves of banana bread in my freezer.  (I ate one yesterday, or there would have been eight.)

I love breads of many different types (who doesn't?), but especially breads made of things like bananas, pumpkin, lemon, etc.  On a quiet weekend morning such as today, there's nothing quite like having a warm loaf of bread to indulge in, and the aroma fills the house, and I feel like eating bread all day long.  

But back to my original question.   Why haven't I made zucchini bread since I was a kid?  And for that matter, I wonder how many other foods there are from my childhood that I've not had since?  And if bread can be made out of zucchini (a great way to partake of a vegetable that most people don't have much enthusiasm for), how many other vegetable can be used to make bread?

Celery bread?  Beet bread? Asparagus bread?  Chives and cheese bread -- this one I've made, and it's good.  As for others .... perhaps I should do some research on unusual types of breads.  Then again, it is a wonderful lazy Sunday morning, and today all I really feel like doing is having a quiet morning with my banana bread.  

So that's my plan for today.  Eating banana bread, maybe watching a movie, and enjoying the warm spring day. 

4 comments:

  1. I made bread with peas and lentils in college. Just mashed them up after cooking and mixed them in to the dough. Yeast bread, not sweet soda bread. I really liked it. But I think you've just inspired us to make some banana bread on the propane stove out here in the desert boondocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fond of your banana bread ��

    ReplyDelete