Sunday, March 14, 2021

Cold rains and chocolate


On this cold late-winter March morning, we have chilly rains falling off and on today here in Kansas City.  This is great weather for baking things which fill the house with warm aromas that take us deep into good memories of our past.  

This weekend I have made several things.  First up was warm roasted tomatoes with olive oil and herbs.  Then was egg salad for easy-to-fix sandwiches.  Then I made some tuna salad just because it seemed good to have fixings for two different kinds of sandwiches.  After that I made deviled eggs dusted with lots of paprika.  Then snickerdoodles, and finally chocolate chunk grand cookies.

These are one of my favorite cookies to make.  Yeah, yeah, I say that about a lot of things, but today this is my favorite cookie to make.  Tomorrow it might be something else.

These are big.  Each dough ball is 100 grams of dough.  You can see in the photo above how big the dough balls are compared to a typical dinner spoon.

They are filled with eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and a few other minor ingredients, and then a combination of cake flour and bread flour -- that's right, no all-purpose flour.  This flour combination gives such a wonderful texture to the cookie.  

Then 20 ounces of chocolate are broken up into shards.  I don't chop them. I simply break the chocolate fêves into shards.  This gives each cookie pockets of liquid chocolate which are are different in size after they are baked up.


In then end, we have 18 cookies that are large and dense and heavy.  The outside of each is just a bit crusty, and then inside there is a wonderful soft chewy texture with those irregularly sized pockets of chocolate.  Each cookies has more than an ounce of chocolate in it.  That may not sound like much, but trust me, it is it a lot. 

I sent some of these foods home with family and friends this weekend.  And I ate quite a lot as well.  A cold spring morning with chilly rains is perfect for baking and eating.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment