Sunday, September 6, 2020

Butter and hot water

from my garden


 I don't like synthetics much .... except when I do.  At least when it comes to foods.  Confusing, right? 

This also goes for things that are overly processed.  Powdered milk?  Why bother.  Although once in a while I come across a recipe that uses it and then it's OK.

I dislike imitation vanilla.  But I'm fine with synthetic food coloring because I really don't see a good alternative.  

Bleached flour?  I'm good with it, and in fact prefer it to unbleached.  

Margarine and other processed butter products ... yuck.  I know ... I know ... most people love them and think of them as a great alternative to more costly butter.  There's something I notice about butter that always makes me feel good about using a high quality butter.  (I use Plugra for just about everything.)  When it's on my fingers, I can run it under hot water, and it washes away virtually completely without the need for soap.  That always seems significant to me.  If I have margarine on my fingers, that always requires a bit of soap to completely remove.  So to feel my skin completely free of the oils using nothing but hot water somehow adds to my satisfaction in using that kind of food product in the things I make. 

So I'm an enigma, a cluster  of counter-ideas as to what's OK and what's not.  

That's OK.  Aren't we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment