Monday, July 20, 2020

Combinations


brownie batter

Sometimes I go to the kitchen and check out the contents of the fridge and the pantry, looking at meal leftovers, or a single tortilla left in a bag, or a small quantity of cream remaining from a quart, and I think about what I can do with them in combination.  I'm one of those people who hates to see anything go to waste.  That doesn't mean everything has to be eaten, though, because as long as I attempt to create something new with bits and pieces and small portions of things, well, then I'm happy, even if that something new is not tasty or even near palatable.  "Not even near palatable" rarely happens, though, because honestly most foods in combination with each other are probably going to be edible, even it not a gourmet creation.  

I've accidentally created new types of wraps by taking that last tortilla left in a bag (that might not be eaten otherwise) and warming it up and then filling it with leftover leaves of lettuce and sautéed vegetables and grated cheese and chopped boiled eggs, or any number of things in combination.  There are so many possibilities that just don't show up in a recipe book, that are sometimes simply the product of spur-of-the-moment inspiration (or sometimes even bored inspiration).

This past weekend, I made lots of brown sugar fudge brownies that went out the door to family and friends.  Cookie doughs are always tasty, as are cake batters, and brownie batters are amazingly delicious right out of the bowl without any cooking, especially if they have chopped up chocolate in them.  As I was preparing brownie batter this past weekend I was left with the enviable job of cleaning up the bowl afterwards with a nice silicone spatula (not a "silicon spatula", that would be something totally different) that allowed me to scrape the sides clean.  The dregs of the yummy brownie batter on the spatula made quite a nice little snack in the wee hours of the morning while the sun was just starting to illuminate the neighborhood.  (See, even just thinking about that brownie batter makes me wax pseudo-rhapsodic!)

As I sat there working on that batter-covered spatula, I wondered if one could frost a cake with brownie batter, and I imagined a deep dark chocolate three-layer cake with loads of rich batter in between the layers and a thick layer of batter on top with grated white chocolate sprinkled over like snow.  That's an interesting sounding combination.  I know that chocolate pudding on a refrigerated cake is pretty darn good.  But brownie batter?  I have no idea how it would taste, how the combination of textures would work, or whether the brownie batter would completely overwhelm the chocolate cake.  But it seems to me it might be worth trying sometime.  Although if it doesn't work, then I've wasted an entire chocolate cake and an entire batch of brownies, and that would be a shame.  But the idea sounds nice to me.  Does it sound nice to anyone else?

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment