Friday, July 17, 2020

A very easy pizza sauce

the slowly disappearing remnant of my summit ash tree

Good evening, everyone.  Someone recently asked me about pizza sauces, so I thought I would toss out a very easy, simple, uncomplicated sauce.  This weekend we're in the middle of the worst heat of the summer so far, and so perhaps working over a hot stove isn't uppermost in the average's person mind at the moment.  But when it cools off a bit and you get a hankering for making your own pizza, here's a great sauce to try. This is an amalgam of a few different recipes I've tried over the years, and it works really well.

Chop up a small onion and measure out 60 grams.  I prefer to chop it very fine, but it won't hurt to have larger pieces if that's what you really want.  Put the onion aside for now.  Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a saucepan and heat it up.  Then add a garlic clove.  I prefer to put it through a garlic press, but you can also just smash it with the side of a knife or the bottom of a mug.  Just make sure to remove the papery outer covering after smashing or pressing.  After tossing in the garlic, toss in the chopped onion as well and reduce the heat a bit.  Cook all that in the hot oil for 5 or 6 minutes, maybe even a couple more.  You should remove the smashed garlic clove but if you have used a press you have to leave it in since it's not possible to remove all the little bits.

Add a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes including the juice.  A small amount of salt and course ground pepper goes in next, 1/2 teaspoon of each, and then I always add a teaspoon of sugar for just a touch of sweetness.  You can add a bit more if you really like your pizza sauce sweet, but I just like a hint of sweetness. 

Now let this all cook on low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, more or less, depending on your own definition of "low heat".  Stir this from time to time and watch how the tomatoes break down more and more until you have a smooth, more even sauce.  For me, I like to see this sauce reduce a bit until a dipped spoon reveals the consistency and viscosity that I want.  There's no right or wrong, rather it's about your own preference.

Sometimes I will also add a couple tablespoons of grated parmesan and/or romano as the sauce is reducing.  You can add a bit of chopped basil if you want, or oregano, whatever herbs you find appealing.  

Or not.  Just plain without the herbs and cheese is great.  Simple, easy, and delicious.

basic pizza sauce




No comments:

Post a Comment