Friday, June 5, 2020

Doughnuts



Today, June 5th, is the first Friday of June.  And as such, it is National Doughnut Day.  This day was started back in 1938 by the Salvation Army in Chicago.  Today's post it not about this day's history, however.  If you want more on that, I would suggest reading the relevant article on Wikipedia.  It's quite interesting actually.

But what interests me as much as the history of this food day is another aspect altogether.  For as long as I can remember, Sunday mornings have been for donuts.  Everyone I have ever talked to has said that if there is one day that is reserved more for donuts than any other in their household, it is Sunday.  That doesn't mean that donut shops don't sell plenty of donuts on other days.  Certainly offices all over in any city or town are frequent purchasers of donuts on weekdays, often as a morning perk for their employees.  But as far as residences go, I wonder how many people buy fresh donuts en masse on weekdays.  Sunday mornings will often find a crowded donut shop with people buying whole boxes of them to take home, but I never really hear of people doing the same thing on a non-Sunday.  On non-Sundays I see people buying a single donut, maybe two, (unless they are going into an office, of course) but it always seems that on Sundays everyone is buying boxes of them.  

To be sure, I have no statistics that help to clarify this conundrum.  Neither do I have any statistics to even validate this premise that Sunday is the main donut-buying day for most households, at least when buying boxes full.  I am only going on observation and hearsay from many people over the years.

Is this issue worthy of the time and energy I am expending in order to ponder it?  I have no idea.  But it's something I've always wondered about.  I think I'll ruminate a bit more while I eat an old-fashioned.  Yum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment