Thursday, May 21, 2020

Herbs and spices and .....

herb barrel from my garden
I read a short article today about Ireland, specifically that this week is National Herb Week in Ireland.  During this week there are many varied events and discussions about herbs and herbal medicines.  I get the feeling the herbal medicine aspect is the major element, but it got me thinking about herbs and spices in foods, and the variety of benefits we get from them both in taste and in how they affect our health.

In my yard, which has been terraformed by me (perhaps a grander term than is warranted, but I will use it anyway because I worked long and hard on that project), I have placed a number of small barrel planters scattered in various planting areas.  Each of these is intended to be used as a small contained garden devoted to a specific herb or vegetable, etc.  The trouble is, they have been there for a while but I still haven't started using them all.  I planted a clove of garlic that was sprouting on my kitchen counter some time ago and it's growing very well this year, lots of green shoots popping up all over inside the planter.  I've put plants in a couple others simply to have something growing, and I've let a few take in wind-strewn seeds, letting them go just to see what would sprout.  But I really haven't started using them in full for the original intent.  For that matter, I have two beds of creeping thyme bordering a seating area and I never think to go out and get some trimmings to use when I'm cooking a stew or preparing meat which could benefit from fresh thyme.  

from my garden ... I believe this is a variety of spiderwort, sometimes called widow's tears
I also think sometimes about flowers.  Many flowers are edible, and petals crystallized with sugar are a pleasing thing to add to some desserts both for the visual and the taste enhancements they bring.  I've never taken the time to more thoroughly research the range of flowers which can be used this way, but the subject intrigues me nonetheless. 

I suppose I should get moving on those ideas, but at the same time I enjoy going at my own pace.  I walk through the terraformed landscape and I see the barrel planters and I think yet again that I really get should get started on growing more herbs.  But those walks, those perambulations, haven't yet sparked the action.  At some point it will happen and I will just decide that today is the day to add that aspect to the landscape and make those things freshly available for me to use in the kitchen.  Until then, I will think about it, wonder why I haven't started yet, and then let it go from my mind.  

As I said, I enjoy going at my own pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment