Saturday, November 30, 2019

The Christmas season


'Tis the Christmas season.   Gosh, I love the holidays.  For me Thanksgiving is the beginning of Christmas time and it doesn't end until New Years.  I put the tree up on Thanksgiving Day and take it down on New Years Day.  And in between, the lights on the tree stay on 24 hours a day. 

The beginning of the Christmas season also means the beginning of feasting.  As a kid, there's always a lot of focus on toys and other presents during December, but for me as a kid it also meant a big roasting pan filled with cookies and brownies.  The roasting pan happened to be the biggest pan in the kitchen and it had a tall lid so it made perfect sense to use it to store all sorts of Christmas goodies that were made.  In my grown-up years the allure of presents waned and the holiday season became more about everything else:  the festive music, beautiful decorations, people gathering together, and sharing in lots of great food. 

Of course, that means a lot of cooking and baking. Interestingly, in all the years of holiday food making, I've never yet made a yule log.  I often start out with the intent to make one as I plan potential holiday foods.  But every year I get distracted with other culinary endeavors.  Perhaps this year I will actually do it.  If I don't, no big deal.  It's always something to look forward to next year.  And that means it's always something that can be postponed again next year, too.  And so the cycle continues.

Today I'm making bouchons.  Bouchon is a French word for cork.  In food terms, a bouchon is a cork-shaped small chocolaty dessert similar to a brownie.  Today I'm experimenting with different types of chocolate in multiple iterations of the recipe.  Every type of chocolate is good but I'm wanting to settle on one type of chocolate that I will use the majority of the time with my bouchons.

More to come.  Have a great start to the big holiday month!



No comments:

Post a Comment