Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The fun of birthday snacks

 


Today happens to be my birthday.  The night before last, my wife and I were talking about what she would like to get me as part of the celebration this week, something in addition to other things that were already planned.  I suggested getting a snack food.  She asked for a list of some of my favorite fun snack foods, things I don't usually get or that I at least regulate so that I don't eat too much junk food.  So we started making a list, first a couple items, then added a few more, and so on, so that she could choose something for me.

She texted me from work yesterday saying that she had something for me.  I assumed it was going to be a single item from the list.  Well, she got 14 items.  You can see them all in the picture above, except for the chocolate milk which was in the fridge and I forgot to pull it out to include in the picture.

Now, her taking the time to get all these items and to surprise me with the number of different fun snack foods is worth a blog post all by itself.  But there's also this to think about:  fun snack foods, whether made fresh or bought at the store as preprocessed items, or even ultra-processed, well, these items are certainly not the most healthy for us, but they are definitely very very fun.

Food is something we need to eat in order to survive.  And why not have a little fun with it at the same time.  There is certainly something to be said for eating extremely healthy, but I'm for moderation in all things.  Eating healthy is important.  But sometimes the joy that comes from eating "fun" is just as important.

Thanks to my wife for her wonderful and unexpected massive contribution to my birthday celebration.  And I hope all of you have someone who will spoil you in the same way once in a while. 

Eat for fun when you can.  It's worth it.




2 comments: