Saturday, February 1, 2020

Good cooking, good food


scones

Today is a mild winter day here in Kansas City, about 52 degrees.  Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, is forecast to be over 60.  However, on Tuesday and Wednesday we are back to expecting proper winter weather, snow on both days and temperatures in the 20s.  Although I love winter weather, I have to admit it was nice to spend a bit of time outside this afternoon doing a little tidying up in the yard.  Random broken branches needed to be picked up, shrubs needed to be pruned a bit, etc.  The birds are out enjoying the sunshine and taking advantage of sun-warmed water in the bird bath, always fun to watch.  Neighborhood cats are sunning themselves.  Squirrels are playing tag around the trunks of trees. 

focaccia

I spent part of my morning on the piano (for my own playing and that of a couple students) and part in the kitchen.  This weekend, cornbreads, chili and ice cream are all heading out the door.  I have a few orders remaining to be picked up this afternoon.  And now I'm turning my attention to some other food to make, probably lavash crackers today as I'm tweaking the recipe and the roll-out process and experimenting with some new spice and seasoning combinations.  I haven't yet added this item to the Bruce Bakery and Bistro menu, but I probably will soon.  I also will be adding frosted sugar cookies soon, but first I have to find packaging I'm happy with as these can not be stacked on top of each other without indenting on the beautiful coating of frosting on every cookie.  I have come up with a few options but haven't yet procured them to test.

cookies
But back to today.  To be honest, I really just want to cook a ton of food this afternoon, every comfort food I can think of.  It's not because I need it (as a comfort food), I just feel like cooking (and eating) a ton of really delicious food.  It is a rewarding thing to work through the preparation and completion of multiple foods all on the same day.  I don't know why exactly, but it is.  It is similar to performing a whole program of piano music where one by one you play each piece and progress to the next and when completed you have this wonderful program that has emerged as a unit.

To see a number of trays filled with foods of different types, all set out and ready to be consumed, on display until that moment comes .... well, it just looks nice.  And it certainly provides a sense of accomplishment.  When one is making a lot of food, it easy to consider how there are so very few things as worthwhile to do as cooking and baking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment