Friday, October 4, 2019

Planning day

salts
Today is planning day. Not every Friday is planning day.  It all depends on what I've cooked, what I've run out of, what I plan to cook, and what my cravings are.  The weather is cooling off markedly from the final dregs of summer heat and that certainly affects my planning.  Today is grey and cool, almost chilly, at least it seems so.  With this change in weather, my thoughts are turning to pizzas, pot pies, stews, chocolate eclairs, coffee cakes, cornbreads and yule logs.  Already I am thinking of holiday cooking and that means I have to review my spice inventory, prepare a new order of chocolate for baking (Valrhona, Michel Cluizel, Cacao Barry and others), and see what salts I am running low on.  I keep several types of salt on hand:  fleur de sel, kosher, Hawaiian pink, Maldon and others, and a very beautiful black Icelandic lava salt (courtesy of my daughter and her husband after a trip abroad).  I use each of them in different ways.  Some will go on fish, some are better for baking, some will be added in flakes on chocolate chip cookies and brownies, and so on.  Anyway, planning today means starting to review inventories of things like salts and spices, looking at recipes I've been wanting to try, and thinking ahead to the next week's new and old foods that will come out of my kitchen.  That means a big trip to the grocery store.  Some people hate grocery shopping, but I love it.  I usually go in with a clear idea of what I want and need, but inevitably, as with everyone I'm sure, extra items find their way into my cart.  Most important for me is to get everything I need to ensure I don't have to go out again to find ingredients for my next cooking adventures during the week ahead.  Sometimes I succeed in that, and sometimes I don't.  But I don't begrudge hitting the grocery a second time during the week (although I dislike being inefficient, to be honest) because it's so nice to walk through and get ideas for new things to make, or sample something new from the deli (especially aged cheddars and other cheeses), or chat with the bakery clerk or butcher about new items.  I prefer to do all this when the grocery store is not packed with people, and fortunately my schedule usually allows me to do that.  (And since I'm usually there very early that means I get the freshest donuts at the bakery counter if I am so inclined.)  Time to plan.  That's all for now.  Enjoy some good food today, everyone.  I know I will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment